A radiant white smile is frequently regarded as a mark of elegance and self-assurance. Many people in San Diego grin brightly because the sun shines all year round. It is now simpler and more affordable to get a Hollywood-worthy smile thanks to developments in dental technology. However, have you ever considered the true mechanism of tooth whitening? We will explore the science of teeth whitening in this blog post by illuminating the magic of how a dentist in Pacific Beach, San Diego, gives you a radiant smile.
It is important to understand why teeth become discolored in the first place in order to understand how tooth whitening works. Stains and discoloration, which fall under the extrinsic and intrinsic categories, respectively, are the main offenders.
- Extrinsic Stains: These are brought on by external factors such as dietary decisions, smoking, and alcoholic beverages such as coffee, tea, and red wine. The outer layer of teeth enamel is harmed by extrinsic stains.
- Intrinsic Stains: Below the enamel, intrinsic staining occurs in the tooth structure. Genetics, aging, particular drugs, and tooth trauma are some of these causes.
The Science of Whitening Teeth
While underlying discoloration cannot be completely eliminated, extrinsic stains are the main focus of tooth whitening. This is how it goes:
- Oxidation: Most teeth-whitening techniques rely on the oxidation process. The chemicals responsible for staining were broken down using this chemical process. Hydrogen peroxide and carbamide peroxide are the main components of the majority of whitening products.
- Penetration: The whitening agent penetrates the enamel and reaches the dentin layer beneath the enamel. This is where intrinsic strains are often observed.
- Breaking Down Stains: Once inside the tooth structure, the whitening agent breaks down the stain molecules, making them smaller and less visible.
- Reflecting Light: Because stains are removed, the tooth looks nicer because it can reflect light more effectively. A whiter, which is a more radiant smile, is the outcome.
Teeth whitening is a popular cosmetic dentistry option in San Diego, where a bright and sunny lifestyle is appreciated. You may choose the best teeth-whitening technique by being aware of the science involved. Thanks to the miracles of tooth whitening science, obtaining a brilliant smile is now possible, whether you select an in-office procedure or an at-home kit.